Friday, November 07, 2008

Music is your soul

Was reading "High Fidelity" (the book) and was amazed at how close to the book they made the movie.

Anyways, hasn't been a while since I posted "favorite" things... and since that's what they do in High Fidelity...

Top 5 Favorite Albums (in no particular order)
Requirements:
1) These are albums you can listen to front to back
2) They must be albums you have been listening to for at least 3 years.
3) These are not just good albums that you love, but albums that you come back to over and over and over again.
4) These are albums that are a part of you. That tell a story about a part of your life.

* TIME - ELO
* AJA - Steely Dan
* Strange Angels - Laurie Anderson
* Homogenic - Bjork
* God Shuffled His Feet - Crash Test Dummies

What are yours? Share.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a toughie, since most of the stuff I listen to is in Greatest Hits or Soundtrack format.

1. Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson
2. Live at the Whiskey a Go-Go X
3. Fear of a Black Planet Public Enemy
4. Live at Folsom Prison by Johnny Cash

I can't name any other stand alone albums. Most of the rest of what I listen to is in mixed formats like Greatest Hits or Soundtracks.

Anonymous said...

Tough...Very Tough...That combination of rules makes it really tough, since they have to not only be great whole albums, but antire albums that are part of my life, rather than just songs. Also, if I don't currently own it, I have to cut it, since it can't be taht come-back-to-able And of course by knocking it down to 5 rather than 10 you make me cut far more than I really want to.

That said:

1. Brilliant Trees - David Sylvian
2. Cake - The Trash Can Sinatras
3. Frank's Wild Years - Tom Waits
4. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
5. Rio - Duran Duran

(cut down from an initial list of 35, and yes, Rio is un-ironic)

MJames said...

I like your criteria. Here are my top five:

1. "Love Songs" (compilation)- Alan Parsons Project

2. "A Rush of Blood to the Head"- Coldplay

3. "Seal" (1994)

4. "Hunting High and Low"- a-ha

5. "The Collection"- Amy Grant