Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Soup of the evening... beautiful soup

So Jen and I were watching the 1999 Hallmark/Jim Henson version of "Alice in Wonderland" tonight and I began to think of the many versions we own and which characters were my favorites. I must say that my favorite characters all come from (almost) the same version of the film: Through The Looking Glass done in 1998 by the BBC.

This version is by far the most accurate in that it keeps almost all of the words from the story and adapts the whole very well onto the screen. This version has my favorite renditions of the Tweedles, of the White Queen (although I hold Carol Channing dear in my heart), the Jabberwocky poem (where a young boy in cardboard armour is truly the vision of true youth), and of Alice (Kate Beckensale... even though she's older than 7 1/2). But my favorite character from this version must be the White Knight played by Ian Holm.

In this veersion he recites a poem I had never heard before entitled "A-Sitting On A Gate". I must say that the poem is not the best poem I have heard but it is indeed the way that he recites it that pulls at my heart. It is deep and meaningful and the visual of him as a Charlie Chaplin-ish character makes it even more meaningful and artistic. I tear-up every time I hear his reading of "A-Sitting On A Gate".

If you are interested, you can find this DVD in Entertainmart for fairly cheap. I would highly suggest it as it stays true to the book and even adds in the "missing chapter" of "A Wasp In A Wig".

On a side-note, I have contacted the good people at Mind Candy (the makers of Perplex City) and they are sending me some swag to share with my friends. If you haven't started playing Perplex City, then expect to get some cards from me very soon. (smile)

On a more personal level, I am currently ranked 138th out of 2500+ people in the world in the game.

0 comments: