Monday, June 05, 2006

I had a friend since I was 13...

I had a friend since I was 13. His name was Philippe. We were really close friends and one day we got into an argument about religion. We since have not spoken... going on 3 years now.

I have had some dreams lately about him and my wife Jen has said that I should bury the hatchet and seek him out again. I was thinking that it was a good idea until today when I re-read the emails that I had saved that were our arguments. I had saved them so I could refer to them again should he deny something he or I said. Yeah, pretty fucking petty of me, but I did it anyways.

Now, I'm not so sure that I want to try for another friendship with him. Trying to convert people and having little tolerance for other beliefs is a difficult and dangerous way to think... and although Jen has seen him and spoken with him a few times, and even that she said that he has expressed interest in becoming friends again... I really don't know if I can deal with his close-minded views. I know that's probably very close minded of me to say, but "burn me once, shame on you... burn me twice, shame on me".

What do you all think?

*****
*****


I also found this poem I wrote on the spur of the moment and sent in one of the last emails to him:

"Steer your boat alongside mine,
And let us sail into the future together.
But do not think that your boat is better than mine nor will I,
And we shall bring peace to the world together.
And should our crafts falter, or should we fail,
Help me as a brother would and help me set sail once more,
With you believing in your boat,
And I in mine."

----"My Boat Asail"

0 comments: